Increase your Cloud Servers’ Performance
In this tutorial, we outline three ways on how you can improve the performance of your Open Hosting Cloud Servers:
- Configure your servers with a Virtio connection
- Use Solid State Drives (SSDs)
- Load Balancing for heavily loaded websites and traffic spikes
Learn more below.
1. Configure your servers with a Virtio connection
Whether your drive is stored on hard disk or Solid State Drive, you should configure your servers with a Virtio connection to your drives to increase performance. Virtio disk drivers provide increased performance on virtualised systems by allowing the guest operating system to co-operate directly with the hypervisor – in effect, the drivers “know” they are running in a virtual environment, and can operate more efficiently as a result. See our Improve disk performance with Virtio tutorial.
2. Use Solid State Drives (SSDs)*
For faster servers, use Solid State Drives (SSDs). They take seconds to set up on the control panel:
- To add a new server using SSD, go to ‘Add’ select ‘Server’ and select ‘SSD’ from the ‘Drive’ drop down.
- To move an existing server to SSD, shut down the server, select ‘SSD’ from the drive ‘Copy’ drop-down, reconfigure the server to use the SSD copy, and start the server once copying is complete.
Learn more about our Solid State Drives.
3. Load Balancing for heavily loaded websites and traffic spikes
As traffic flows into your site, load balancing is good at ensuring that traffic is routed to the appropriate web server to ensure that the visitor gets the content as fast as possible. Please see our Add a front-end apache cloud load balancer and Add a second HA cloud load balancer tutorials on how to set up a load balancer.